DEPOPULATING the WATER WAGON

The phenomenal majority collected by Dwight W. Morrow of New Jersey in a Republican Senatorial election forecasts a rather busy future for the Drys. They attempted to stuff Middle Western support into the hole in the dyke but the wet Eastern pressure seems to be too much, and in addition, this same Middle Western assistance is by no means so efficient as the arms of young Dutch boys.

The only outstanding nomination that might be construed as a dry victory is the majority secured by Mr. Pinchot in Pennsylvania. But here even the candidate who is an ardent dry attributes his victory to a desire for clean government rather than enforcement of the Prohibition Amendment. Nearly every reputable indication of public feeling has been against the anti-alcohol laws. It does not take an interpreter to read the writing that is becoming more and more distinct on the American political wall. Whether or not it is here to stay, Prohibition is certainly the biggest political issue in this country today and the good old practice of avoiding the issue is fortunately becoming a fatal mistake.