HEAT KEEPS OARSMEN FROM HEAVY WORKOUTS

1933 AND COMBINATION CREWS HAVE BRIEF RACES

Red Top, Conn., June 5.--With the Harvard training quarters sweltering in the heat wave that has swept over New England, Coach Whiteside limited his crews to very moderate workouts today.

In the morning the University and Jayvee eights went down the river as far as the three-mile mark, practicing starts all the way. F. F. Colloredo-Mannsfeld '32, regular stroke, who was declared out of the boat for the rest of the week on doctor's orders yesterday, was in the coach's launch, while T. L. Armstrong '32 filled his place in the University shell. Armstrong, who had a taste of the first boat last week before the contingent left Cambridge, filled the stroke seat capably.

The Freshmen and combination eights, the former unchanged in seating, A. H. Parker '32 stroking the latter, paddle to the three mile limit during the morning workout, Coach Haines giving careful attention to the boat which he hopes will continue its winning streak by taking the Eli first year men into camp on June 20. The combination is making excellent progress, the recent shift not having been made so late as to hinder development.

In the afternoon workout the University eight covered the four mile course, following their accustomed plan of getting familiar with a distance which is longer than any other they row during the season. The Jayvees accompanied them to the three mile mark. The Freshmen and the combination crews, in the afternoon, did the distance from camp to the bridge in two laps, returning the same way.