TWENTY-TWO YEAR'S GROWTH

Founded on very modest beginnings some twenty-two years ago, the Graduate School of Business Administration has today reached a position on a level with the other professional schools. Few are the progressive business men now who still maintain that the only training for business is acquired at a tender age with a broom on an office, or a factory floor. Business training approaching the status of legal training, is more and more becoming recognized as a great asset toward eventual success.

If was not without a long period of tribulation and experimentation that the Business School arrived at its present position. Founded on grants amounting to only $25,000 and operating at first as a department under the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, there were many who predicted anything but a brilliant future for this experiment, virtually without precedent as it was. But so satisfactory was its growth and development that by 1912 President Lowell was able to declare an end to the period of experiment by establishing it as an independent faculty with an organization like that of the other professional schools in the University.

Between the years 1912 and 1927 the progress of the school was gradual and convincing along lines of organization and instruction. In the latter year, through the generosity of George F. Baker, New York financier, the present magnificent physical equipment was erected.

Throughout its existence the business school has been forced to push ahead into regions previously unexplored. This pioneering, which has been so ably carried out, has brought into being implements of precision and tried value with which business method can be taught. The process is by no means at an end, and its vigorous pursuance is a matter of greatest import to the economic world.

"Human engineering," said Professor Gay in his address on the occasion of the dedication of the George F. Baker Foundation. June 4, 1927, "now is demanding the cooperation of highly diverse scientific specialists--economists, statisticians, politicial scientists, historians, psychologists, biologists, physiologists, as well as men of the medical, legal, and engineering professions and always at the center, the business planners and coordinators."