Vast Opportunities Offered to Candidates for Business Board of Crimson in Wide Scope of Paper's Advertising Policy

The following outline of the duties of the candidates for the Business Department of the Crimson was written by a member of that department of the College daily.

To anyone desiring business experience of the most varied type the competition conducted by the Business Department of the CRIMSON offers vast opportunities. The problems involved in the financing of a purely student publication demand unlimited initiative on the part of editor and candidate alike, and provide a chance for a sound and valuable business ground-work. And this experience, contrary to the popular prejudice, develops men for many other fields outside of advertising. The wide scope which the advertising policy of the CRIMSON taken acquaints the candidate with many different businesses.

The competition which commences this Wednesday evening at 7 o'clock in the president's office of the CRIMSON building, 14 Plympton Street, conducted exclusively for Sophomores, in probably the most advantageous of the year. With the worries of midyear examinations far in the future, the candidate can give the time he wants to his competition. Furthermore, the work of the Business Department demands the time of the candidate only during the day.

Not the least of the benefits of a CRIMSON business competition are the contacts made with business men of Cambridge, Boston, and New York, with whom the candidate will have constantly to deal. Such friendships, made at this time often form the ground-work of later business relations, and for that reason are of value to the man who intends later to enter the business field.

Should the candidate be successful in his competition, he becomes eligible for executive offices which involve the direct supervision of the business department of the paper.

The competition also includes office work, letter writing, elementary accounting, and such necessary work in the management of any business. A knowledge of these is an asset to anyone who later intends to enter some business.

This competition is probably the most favorable from the standpoint of advertising, since the fall period is always the most active one for the advertiser and for the CRIMSON.

Not only does the candidate get a thorough knowledge of the business end of newspaper work, but he also gets an idea of the management of the paper as a whole.