"BIRD IN HAND"

Delightful English Comedy Now Current at Majestic--Single Weak Point is Conclusion

"Bird In Hand" which has been playing at the Majestic for a few weeks before rather small audiences confirms the theory that Bostonians do not know a good play when they see one. From the circumspect shadows of Beacon Street to the more bizarre shades of Revere there is always the cry that this city never gets a good play. Judging from the perverse manner in which these same people choose to distribute their patronage, it is little wonder that the producers do not turn the city over to the Mutual Burlesque circuit and content themselves with more discriminating cities.

The play under present consideration is a delightful English comedy. It consists of that more mature humor of contrasting characters, not caricatures. There is a certain mellowness and sub stance in Mr. Drinkwater's handling, and of course, the sureness of an accomplished dramatist. And there is no heap of froth to hide any inadequacies of plot. The usual "Says who-whozzat" business usually associated with comedy is fortunately omitted. The situation is presented and the comedy is a matter of the effect upon the different characters, always true to their type; ever so slightly satirical but always good natured.

The company is that selected by the author and they fulfill the requirements of his lines thoroughly. There is no individual star, although occasionally the excellence of some one of them draws the warranted applause of the none too copious audience. In fact there is but a single weak point in the performance and that is the conclusion which lets one down with something of a jolt. A rapid and pleasant crescendo suddenly dwindles off into absolute nothing, but is compensated by what goes before. If you have not seen this you most certainly should at the earliest opportunity.