REPRESENTATIVES OF PRESS INSPECT HARVARD HOUSES

Harkness Will Cover Complete Price of Building, Refitting -- Tutors, Entertain, Give Information

The public got its first indirect introduction to Harvard's new Houses yesterday when representatives of the press of Boston and New York were taken around Lowell and Dunster and entertained at luncheon.

President Lowell conducted the tour of inspection personally, and was assisted in entertaining and informing the guests by C. N. Greenough '98, and J. L. Coolidge '95, masters of Dunster and Lowell Houses respectively.

During the course of the proceedings it was learned for the first time the full amount of the cost of erecting and refitting the buildings necessary for the completion of the seven House Units will be met by Mr. Harkness. It had been understood previously that a definite sum, somewhat over $12,000,000 had been promised by Mr. Harkness and that any amount over and above would have to be met out of University funds. A rough estimate of the final cost was given as $15,000,000.

Outline of House Plan

Yesterday's reception to the press started in the main common room of Lowell House with an outline of the House Plan, its purposes, and history. It was pointed out that the origins of the scheme went back to the institution of the present system of distribution and concentration more than two decades ago. The coming of the general examination, with the concomitant appearance of the tutorial system were cited as further development on the academic side of the educational system in general. It only remained then to improve the environment of the student to such an extent that he would be able to get the most out of his opportunities. This environment the House Plan is designed to supply.

Following this short talk, President Lowell took the lead in showing the assembled newspapermen the outstanding features of the two new buildings, including the libraries, the common rooms, and living quarters picked out more or less at random. The party then proceeded to divide up, one half going to Lowell House for luncheon and the other to Dunster. Various teachers and associates of the Houses were present to aid in entertaining the press.