Vacation Athletic Trips

THE PRESS

In periods when financial retrenchment becomes necessary the whittling-down process often brings into the lime-light expenditures of money which on examination prove to have been virtually useless and unworthy, while better causes have been starving from non-support. Already there has had to be a decided slash in expenditures for winter sports by reducing schedules and an unfortunate elimination of Junior Varsity teams. More important, athletic officials have also indicated definitely that the baseball squad will not take its annual spring trip this year.

Of all the economies devised by the Athletic Association to frighten the wolf away, those which eliminate activities causing such superfluous expense as the baseball trip are most to be desired. True, expensive training trips by baseball and hockey squads during vacation periods have long been accepted drains on Princeton's athletic cupboard and only a few have lifted up their heads in complaint. But it seems that this year when utility becomes the true determining factor, the baseball trip is to be lopped off, as unnecessary, and we might add, extravagant and point-less.

There remains a question about the future. It seems to the Princetonian that in time, when rigorous retrenchment will no longer be essential, the money available should not be employed again for increasing schedules of a few teams and for luxuries such as vacation trips. Rather let this money, whatever the amount, be devoted to other ends such as vitalizing Princeton's starving, struggling and embryonic intramural athletics, so shamefully in need of financial backing for efficient organization. Not temporary but permanent and diligent elimination of super fluous athletic expenditures, in the interest of more needy phases of the University's athletic life, seems only reasonable and eminently desirable. Daily Princetonian.