"THE LEADER OF AMERICAN LAW"

Dean Pound, of the Harvard Law School, commented upon Justice Holmes' resignation from the United States Supreme Court yesterday as follows:

The retirement of Mr. Justice Holmes brings to an end a judicial career which stands out in the history of the common law. But Mr. Justice Holmes has been more than an outstanding judge for substantially half a century. As a law writer and law teacher at Harvard, before he went on the bench, he had put himself in the front rank of legal scholars, and for two generations upon the bench he has been the leader to whom American teachers of law have looked not only for expositions of the law in his opinion but for far-reaching suggestions in his published papers and addresses. With an assured grasp upon the authoritative legal materials of the past, he has had a clear sense of the legal problems of the present and immediate future and a vision of the path which the law is taking in order to cope with those problems. He leaves an enduring mark upon American law and one no less enduring upon legal thinking throughout the English speaking world.