THE MEDICAL SERVICE

Occasions of the sort mentioned in a letter appearing elsewhere in these columns when medical attention has been sought at Wadsworth House and found wanting, or delayed, have happened with a frequency no longer to be ignored. One of the gravest responsibilities of the Administration is the protection of the health and lives of members of the University.

Congestion in the office of the College doctors during the two hours of consultation is one clear indication that the medical service is inadequate. Another is the delay with which requests for attention at dormitory rooms are answered. Immediate investigation of an appeal for medical assistance is an essential of protection. If pressure of other duties prevents prompt personal attention from the Medical Adviser, it is an admission that the staff is insufficient that no assistant can be assigned a case. Neglect or improper treatment of disease in its early stages often results in needless hardship to the individual and danger to many when a case of contagion occurs.

It is reasonable to suppose that the Administration desires maximum economy in the supervision of the health of the students and the wish is to be commended as long as the efficacy of the medical protection provided is unimpaired. But all present indications bear out the fact that the medical service is inadequate.

The shortcomings of the existing organization would be reduced by two moves. Provision can be made for a qualified diagnostician prepared to make undelayed investigation of cases confined to dormitory rooms by the obvious danger involved in venturing out with an unidentified ailment. And a College physician should be made accessible at all hours of the day.