THE DRAMA SCHOOL

That the Cambridge School of the Drama must suspend its activities at the end of the present term can only be regretted. Although the school has far from fulfilled the expectations cherished at the time of its establishment, it has offered a chance for study in a field neglected by the University. And the lack of cooperation which the University has given the organization is likewise deplorable.

The need for such an institution within a college is undeniable. Drama as a form of literary expression is an important part of education, and the art of writing for the Theatre should have a place in any educational curriculum.

Play writing develops and stimulates creative ability, a phase which universities, Harvard in particular, are inclined to overlook. Formerly this aspect was treated by Professor George Pierce Baker and the 47 Workshop, and it is the gap left by his exodus that the Cambridge School of the Drama attempted to fill.

If the University had given credits for courses offered in the School, it might have been more popular and successful. But as conditions exist, it seems best that the Cambridge School of the Drama should discontinue its work for the present. Then, perhaps, the University would establish its own department or graduate school, a more logical solution for the problem.