LIPSON SAYS COLLEGE MEN REQUIRE LUXURY FOR EFFICIENT STUDY

CULTURE DOES NOT THRIVE UNDER HARSH CONDITIONS

"Students at Harvard enjoy, in some directions, a larger measure of freedom than is customary in English Universities, where there are strict regulations as to hours," remarked Ephraim Lipson, of New College, Oxford, in a CRIMSON interview last night.

Mr. Lipson Is giving some of the Lowell Lectures this year and at present is a guest of the University in Eliot House. Speaking on the subject of living conditions here and abroad, in which he is particularly interested, Lipson said: "There is, I suppose, a feeling that high thinking goes best with plain living, or that the student for whom life is made perhaps a shade too pleasant, is not being best fitted for the rough and tumble of the world outside. Personally, I do not share this view. For one thing, I believe that it is eminently desirable that men should be able to enjoy during their student days, which are usually the happiest period in their lives, the comforts and amenities of modern civilization. A hard life has often, in the past, been the student's lot; but I see no reason to assume that culture can only thrive where the material conditions of life are made purposely harsh and forbidding.

"Coming from an English university in which I have lived for over 20 years I have had no feeling of strangeness here. Privileged to reside in Eliot House, I am conscious of a genuine university atmosphere. The institution of Houses, I understand, is new; but they seem to me to be settling down rapidly, and, while retaining their own individuality, they will develop Oxford traditions."