VARSITY HARRIERS PLACE 6TH IN NEW YORK I.C.4A. MEET

Scores 77 Points as Syracuse, N.Y.U. Place Second and Third -- Barker Breaks Record

The Varsity harriers dropped their title of intercollegiate Cross Country champions to Manhattan College yesterday in the I.C.4A. meet in New York yesterday, when they finished sixth in the team scoring. The race was won by George Barker of N. Y. U., who finished in the record breaking time of 28 minutes and 58 4-5 seconds, while Arthur Foote '33, captain of the Varsity harriers, crossed the line in fourth place.

Foote Runs Good Race

About thirty yards behind Barker came Joe McCluskey of Fordham, while Otty of Michigan State and Arthur Foote '33 came in third and fourth. The next Harvard man after Foote was A. S. Pier '35, in 24th place. Then came J. S. Hayes '33 in 29th place, James Parton '34 in 35th place, and C. F. Woodard '35 in 38th place.

Manhattan, the winning team, had a total score of 77 points; Syracuse University in second place, 11 points; New York University in third place, 115 points; Michigan State, in fourth place, 118 points; Pennsylvania State, in fifth place 128 points; and Harvard in sixth place, 130 points.

Harriers Did Well

The Varsity harriers did well considering the fact that they were up against the best distance runners in the East. In the team point score, they were only 19 points behind Syracuse, in second place, while Syracuse was 34 points behind Manhattan. Foote, who placed twelfth in last year's made a good record, and showed himself to be one of the best runners in his class in the country.

Last year, the harriers won the I.C.4A. title with five men bunched in the first twelve places, obtaining a total score of 44 points.