HARVARD BASKETBALL TEAM PROSPECTS GOOD

COACH WACHTER HAS NUCLEUS OF LETTERMEN TO WORK WITH

In preparation for their first game, which comes but two weeks away with Boston University, the University courtmen have been working out daily in the Indoor Athletic Building under the direction of Coach Ed Wachter. At this early date it is hard to predict much about the team, but there is a good nucleus of men from last year's squad with which Wachter can work, and he expects to have the usual strong team this year which he has had in former seasons.

Good Sophomore Material

Only four regulars have been lost to the squad by graduation. They are: Joseph Rauh, Jr. '32, center; W. S. Baskervill '32; G. H. Pattison, Jr. '32, captain of last year's quintet; and W. J. Holland '32, all forwards. All the other members of last year's squad who are in College have reported for practice except C. J. Nevin '34, H. K. Wells '34 and H. G. Reisner, Jr. '33, who have been out for football and have not yet shown up for basketball. C. H. Hageman '33, the only other member of last year's squad playing football, reported for practice yesterday.

The outstanding members of last year's squad who have reported are Hageman, Captain W. A. Huppuch '33, S. C. Dorman '33, King Upton '33, J. R. Levan '34, E. W. Merry '34, and A. J. Matursevitch '33. Members of last season's Freshman quintet who have reported and are expected to show up well are R. G. Fletcher, Jr. '35, R. C. Boys '35, J. D. Stephen '35, and R. K. Morse '35.

The team has not been picked even tentatively as yet, but the leading candidates for the positions are as follows: for center, Upton, who alternated with Pattison as regular center last season; Boys, regular center on last year's Freshman five; and Dorman, who played regular guard on the Varsity a year ago, but who will probably be used in the pivot position this year; for guard: Hageman, Huppuch, and Reisner, all members of last year's quintet; for forward: Levan, Merry, Matursevitch, Nevin, Ferriter, and Fletcher, all of whom played on the Varsity last year except Fletcher, who was a regular on the 1935 quintet.

Although last year's team did not pile up a particularly impressive list of victories, it came very close to beating such teams as Navy, to which it lost by two points, it was nosed out by a strong Pittsburgh quintet by only three points, and was downed by the championship Eli five by the slim margin of four points. Accordingly, with only four regulars lost through graduation, and with several good players coming up from the Freshman quintet of last season, the prospects for a good season this year seem extraordinarily bright. But on the other hand, it must be remembered that the team faces an unusually stiff schedule, meeting Navy, Princeton, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Trinity, Massachusetts State College, and others during the course of the season.

This is the first time that the Harvard team has traveled to Amherst to meet Massachusetts State, and this year's will be the first appearance of the Navy quintet on the Crimson's home court.

Practice this year is being held in the evenings on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and in the afternoon on Tuesday and Friday. This is the first year that regular evening practice has been held; it is understood that this change has been made in order to allow a fuller intramural basketball program in the afternoons.

After the game with Boston University on December 14 comes the first real test of the season, when the team meets Princeton, winner of the Eastern Inter-collegiate Championship last year, on December 19