Old Cadet Describes Hectic Routine of Daily Life at U.S. Military Academy

By Arthur L. Fuller. jr.

It is five forty-five a.m., still dark and cold after a three inch fall of snow during the night.

A small cluster of men gather in one of the dark sallyports, stamp their feet and clap their hands in an effort to get warm. A light flashes on in the guard room and the men in the sallyport allently form in a double rank.

Suddenly an unearthly din disturbes the peaceful quiet of the night as the distant boom of a gun repounds through the hills. Bells in every division of barracks clang furiously. A group of men the Bell Cats start blowing bugles and beating on drums as if their very lives depended upon the ferociousness with which they did it. This is reveille at the United States Military Academy.

Immediately windows are closed with a bang and lights flash on all over barracks. The plebes (first year men) have started to dream. Gradually more lights wink on over the snow covered area until at three minutes of six every light in barracks is on. It requires a piehe ten minutes to dress, while an upperclassman can do it in two minutes.

In the meantime, starting at five minutes of six, bells are signalling the minutes and the constant turmoil of the bugles and drums has made it certain that every man is out of bed.

Up at Six o'clock

At six o'clock every man is in ranks in the area to stand reveille. After the roll has been called, the ranks dissolve, the cadein rush back to their rooms, make their beds, sweep the floor, shave, and dress for breakfast. At six-twenty another bell rings for Police Call, when one First Classman (a senior) in each division inspects every room to see that the beds are made and the floor swept. At six-thirty the cadets again form in ranks and march to Washington Hall for breakfast.

Thirty minutes after the Corps has entered the mess hall, the regimental commander calls the battalions to attention and dismisses them. Every man leaves the mess hall immediately.

In the next forty-five minutes a last look in cast over the first lesson for the day, and finishing touches are put on the room; for sometime during the morning, a Regular Army officer will inspect rooms to see that every article is in its designated place and that the room is absolutely free of dust and dirt. Then class call sounds and the cadets form in sections according to academic rank in that subject and march to the classroom.

Classes occupy the time from seven-fifty until twelve in the morning and from one to three in the afternoon, with the exception of one study period in the morning and one on alternate afternoons. Lunch occupies the better part of the hour from twelve to one.

At three-fifteen half of the Corps marches to athletics and the other half goes to drill. During the fall and spring, the drill consists of "Squads East and West" followed by dress parade at four-thirty. During the winter the drill is a classroom study of various training regulations.

Compulsory Athletics

The policy of the Superintendent as regards to athletics is as follows. Every cadet must participate in every form of athletics. There is no discrimination. All have equal opportunity. The factor of first importance must be the effect on the value of the Military Academy to the Army of the United States. Athletic training at West Point is given with a view to having each graduate thoroughly competent to impart instruction to enlisted men in at least a few sports. Athletic prowess to a graduate is invaluable.

In pursuance to this policy all cadets must participate in some form of athletics, be it Intramural or Varsity athletics--"Corps Squads" from which the Army teams are picked. Those engaged in Intramural--or more appropriately "Intermurder"--athletics, have from three-fifteen until four-twenty-five every other day. On the other hand the Corps Squads practice until five-thirty o'clock every day, coming out on the field at four-forty-five on days the cadets attend drill.

Eligibility Rules

Unlike many colleges and universities, a man to be eligible for a Corps Squad must be proficient in every subject, not only during the previous semester, but also from week to week during the season of the sport.

Dinner is at six-fifteen, the battalions forming and marching to the mess hall as for breakfast and luncheon. Call to Quarters sounds at seven-fifteen. At that time every man must be in his room to prepare his lessons for the next day. Then at ten o'clock the bugles resound for the last time in the area.

"Fades the light

And afar

Cometh night.

And a star

Leadeth all

To their rest."

Taps! Lights out! The day is over.