RUMOR

The statement issued by the University in regard to the offer of heat and light to the Rindge Technical High School is very appropriate at this time. It ought to set at rest the absurd and malicious rumors in connection with Mayor Russell's request and the response made to it by University authorities. The fact that the whole project was immediately dropped by both parties when its illegality was discovered puts an end to the threatened investigation by the legislature, but was insufficient to discredit the reports circulated.

It has been charged in the past, not without basis, that the University took an unwarranted attitude of self-sufficiency in the face of public criticism. Failure to deny or explain is too easily twisted into something else. In the present case, however, that charge cannot be made. Criticism was baseless from the beginning, since the University only acceded to the mayor's request on condition that the arrangement be legally approved, and further renounced any profit from the enterprise. In the face of these facts, further comment is unnecessary.