GROUSE IN OUR HOUSE

One of the non-essential rules which hampers friendly relations in the Houses it that which restricts the student's ability to eat in another House than his own. The red tape which is involved at present in entertaining a guest from a different House is an unmitigated nuisance. Only the routine problems of book-keeping stand in the way, and they should not be allowed to prevent the free intercourse which is one of the chief graces of undergraduate life.

In the present situation, an involuntary isolation is being built up, which is both unnecessary and objectionable. Undergraduates are not alone in recognizing this. The Harvard Alumni Bulletin has stated that "it is an advantage to have men lunch or dine with friends from other Houses than their own." There is no reason why the present system of signing for meals should not be changed to suit the circumstances, so that each individual could sign his own check, whether eating in his own House or not. If necessary a small extra charge might be made to cover the additional book-keeping expense. In eliminating one of the conspicuous annoyances of the system now obtaining, the change would be more than welcome.