Cuba Now Controlled By United States Through Economic Pressure, Thinks Larrea-Students Take Part in Politics

"The Cuban student takes after his European brethren in that he is tremendously interested in his own country's politics, while the average American University member possesses a vast indifference to all the proceedings of the State," said A. R. Larrea 1G.B., in an interview yesterday evening.

"One reason for students taking an interest in politics in Cubs is that there is but one university in Cubs, the University of Havana, which is operated by the government. The university is under the direction of the Secretary of Public Instruction, so that if there is any clash of students with the authorities in the University, it must also be a clash with the state. As a result, trouble constantly arises between the student body and the government. Again, of the 5000 students who attended the University of Havana, about 2000 or 3000 were of voting age and had therefore more than an observer's interest in the government. One of the three Law School, in which the workings of the Cuban government are studied, so that little could escape the eyes of the students."

"As regards the attitude of Cuba towards the United States," he said, "the United States has little direct political supervision over the Republic of Cuba, except that it reserves the right to intervene in case of emergency. Through economic conditions Cuba is thoroughly ties up with the United States. In late years a great deal of money has been loaned to Cuba by the United States to help carry over the sugar industry, which has been in difficult circumstances and $120,000,000 alone was borrowed to build the road which now transverses the entire island. Thus Cuba feels more dependent upon the United States than appears on the surface, wholly because of the economic relations between the two countries."