CREW LETTERS

Despite the fact that rowing at Harvard attracts more men than any other sport, the number of awards of major H's made to oarsmen each year is the least of any branch of athletics in the University. A change to render more liberal the rules governing such awards has the avowed approval of the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports. The vote of the Student-Council in this matter would provide the awaited expression of undergradute opinion, and would bring about the desired change.

Under the present rules, which have been in force since a Student Council vote in 1927, major H's in crew are awarded to all members of the first University beat, as well as to all members of the Jayvee boat who row two years in the second shell. The change desired, which represents a return to the policy of the H. A. A. prior to 1927, as well as a turn to the present custom in crew at Yale, would restate the rule to grant a major letter to all Seniors who row against Yale in the Jayvee boat, regardless of how long they have been rowing there.

It is especially desirable to have liberal rules regarding letters in crew, since the character of the sport does not provide for substitutions, the means by which so many men gain letters in all other sports. Often it is impossible for a coach to place a single man in the first boat because a group of several other men form a perfect rowing combination, and a good man, in this way, may be kept out of the boat.

Harvard's large total of crews boated daily also makes it logical that a larger number of letters should be granted annually. The number of crews rowing daily amounts to from 28 to 32, representing over 250 men. The fact that less than a dozen letters are awarded in such a popular sport is an obvious anomaly.