Capitalistic Communism

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer will names be withheld.)

(Ed. Note: The following letters are representative of many which the CRIMSON has received concerning the recent change of policy of the Harvard Liberal Club.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Having railed and ranted at decadent "Liberalism", Harvard Communists have now assumed the title "Liberal" in order to secure an endowment of approximately three thousand dollars. For what other reason could the National Student League have desired the affiliation of the Liberal Club?

Not to institute a Harvard chapter, for one previously existed. Nor have any new members been secured, since the non-Communistic members of the Liberal Club have signified their intention of resigning. The affiliation could not have been urged on the grounds that the programs are similar. While the Students League is decidedly Communistic in policy, and an advocate of action, the Liberal Club has heretofore heard all interests, has acted less, and thought more.

But even Communists are motivated by the symbol of capitalism,--money. Finding that the Liberal Club had an endowment of about three thousand dollars, members of the League joined it until they constituted a majority. Having elected a president favorable to their interests, they are now planning on diverting the money from Liberal to Communistic activities.

Harvard has lost by this action. Whereas two organizations formerly existed, there is now only one. The Liberal Club exists in name only. Since both performed a service, there is no reason why both should not have continued to exist. Surely if the National Students League merited it, it could have secured an endowment by less questionable means. Harold S. Saxe '34.