Plympton Playboys and Brattle Square Police Clash Today To Restore Good Feeling--Russell, Bacon, Apted Collaborate

With Mayer R. M. Russell '14 of Cambridge tossing out the first ball to Gaspar G. Bacon '08, president of the Massachusetts Senate, a baseball contest which is fondly expected to become an annual classic between the "Plympton Playboys" and the Cambridge Police, will be played at 6.15 o'clock this afternoon on Russell Field. Major Charles R. Apted '06 of the Harvard Yard Police has been announced as the umpire.

Although this will be the first contest of the season for the Brattle Square officers, Captain B. J. Murphy is confident of an easy victory. The "Playboys," however, point to their record of victories over Milton and St. Mark's, claiming that the policemen will have less success than they have had previously in unofficial clashes between the two organizations.

"I regard this game as a splendid idea," Mayor Russell stated yesterday. "It will do much to restore good feelings between the 'Playboys' and the Police, and to avoid further rioting." He expressed a hope that it would end without any untoward incident. Mr. Bacon could not be reached last night but he also is reported as being pleased at the good feeling which prevails.

Major Apted refused to confirm the statement that he would act as umpire, although he added his approval of the game as one directly concerned.