DANA TALKS AT LIBERAL CLUB ON SOVIET DRAMA

IMPORTANCE OF FIVE YEAR PLAN IN DRAMA TO BE STRESSED

"Drama Under the Soviets" will be the subject of a lecture to be given on Thursday evening by H. W. L. Dana '03, under the auspices of the Liberal Club. Dr. Dana will discuss the way in which contemporary Russian drama deals with revolutionary problems, and slides of many of the most dramatic scenes from recent Soviet plays will be shown during the lecture. Members of the Dramatic Club are especially invited to attend.

Dr. Dana is a professor at the New School for Social Research in New York, and has recently spent over two years in Russia studying various aspects of the Russian stage. While collecting material for a book on the Soviet drama, he accompanied George Bernard Shaw on his recent tour of Russia.

Drama and the Five Year Plan

In his lecture, Dr. Dana will emphasize the importance of the Soviet drama in portraying revolutionary experiments such as the Five-Year-Plan, and in building up and maintaining in Russians the spirit to carry out and support the drastic national readjustments which are now in progress. The function of the drama as a maker and moulder of morals will also be treated.

Dr. Dana received his Ph.D. degree at Harvard in 1910, has since taught English at the Sorbonne in Paris, and has held the position of assistant professor of comparative literature at Columbia University; he was one of the founders of the Cambridge School of the Drama.