THE LIGHTWEIGHTS DEPART

The abolition of 150-pound football will undoubtedly disappoint that small group of men who played the sport during its two-year existence. It provided exercise and enjoyment for a class of men handicapped by size from competing for the University team and, when it was established, had a definite place in the Harvard athletic program.

But now, although the desire, on the part of both H. A. A. officials and players, to have the team is still as great, the sport has already outlived its useful purpose. With seven House teams in the field it is difficult to find enough men interested in football to fill House, second University, and 150-pound teams. Moreover, with a rule forbidding minor sports teams to leave New England, Yale is the only collegiate opponent in the lightweight division. It was shown this last season that the Yale game objective was hardly compensation enough for an otherwise desultory series of games with preparatory school teams. In abolishing the sport now Harvard, moreover, is merely anticipating Yale by one year. It is undoubtedly better to have successful House athletics than a lackadaisical interest in both House and 150-pound teams.