Rhodes Scholarship Requirements Outlined as Concluding Day For Applications Approaches--Annual Stipend About $2000

Applications from Harvard men who wish to gain Rhodes Scholarships annually awarded to 32 students in the United States, must be handed in on or before Saturday, October 22. Before this date candidates should have applied for letters of recommendation from President Lowell, and these applications should be handed, if the student is competing for the Scholarship in Massachusetts, to F. O. Matthiessen, assistant professor of History and Literature, and Secretary of the Massachusetts State Committee of Selection, or to the Secretary of the Committee of that state in which they want to file their application. Six Harvard men received the scholarship last year, four of them being graduate students.

The scholarships bring a stipend of 400 pounds a year, for two or three years' tenure at Oxford. Since most Rhodes Scholars obtain standing at Oxford which enables them to take a degree in two years, appointments are made for two years, but a student who wishes to remain for a third, may do be provided he presents a satisfactory preliminary programme for that period. By a recent ruling a Scholarship holder may leave Oxford after his second year there, and return to take his third year after a period of work in his own country, of he may spend it in postgraduate work in any British Overseas Dominion on approval of his own College and the Rhodes Trustees. This third year may not be spent studying in his own country. A Harvard candidate may present himself for the award either from this state, or from the state in which he legally resides, in either case representing the University.

All candidates, Professor Matthiessen stated, should read "Oxford of Today," which will be put on reserve in the Reading Room of the College Library. Official catalogues of Oxford University can be consulted in the Delivery Room. The Rhodes Scholarship Memorandum for 1932, and accompanying application blank may be had from Professor Matthiessen.

Harvard men who get the degree with distinction would certainly be allowed to study for a higher degree. The Ph.D. degree can be earned with three years of good work, one of which could be spent at a Continental university with the 400 pound stipend continued. The trustees will try to keep the value of the Scholarships at approximately $2,000, regardless of flucuations in the value of the pound sterling.

While graduate work at oxford is not as highly organized as at Harvard good personal guidance is available in all fields, Professor Mathissen stated, and the libraries are hardly squalled anywhere.

Committee of selection nowadays tend to put scholarly achievements first in rating a man, but, as emphasized in the memorandum, there are no formal cut-and-dried standards. The committees are on the look-out chiefly for men who show promise of attaining distinction, of doing one thing well.

Whether or not an applicant is an all-round-man as typified in college novels, makes little difference to us," Professor Matthiessen said. "Participation in activities' is not essential and the requirement of 'physical vigour' does not necessarily include playing on a team.

The following will hold themselves in readiness to give information about Oxford and the Scholarships: Eliot House, Professor Matthiessen, who as Secretary will have office hours on Mondays and Wednesday; Adams House, J. A. Ross; Dunster House, Assistant Professor E. S. Mason; Kirkland House, W. P. Maddox; Leverett House, Associate Professor W. C. Greene '11; Lowell House, Mason Hammond '25; Winthrop House, D. B. Durand '25.

For choosing the 32 Rhodes Scholars, the states are divided into eight districts of six states each.

There is a competition in every state and the two best men appear before the district committee. Each district committee will select from the 12 candidates so nominated not more than four men who will be Rhodes Scholars at Oxford. A candidate must be a citizen of the United States with at least five years domicile, and unmarried. By the first of October of the year for which he applied he must have passed his nineteenth and not have passed his twenty-fifth birthday. Candidates may apply from the state in which they live ordinarily, or from any state in which they have received at least two years of their college education before applying