LOCKE CLINCHES EASY VICTORY FOR VARSITY

KELLY, SHERMAN, SCHUMANN, AND HEALY ARE INJURED

By R. W. Paul

Fergy Locke's brilliant 50-yard end run started the Varsity on its way to a 12-0 victory over the Jayvees at Soldiers Field Wednesday afternoon. This was the only action the Varsity saw over the holiday, yesterday morning's workout being restricted to signal drills and formation work.

Locke's run gave the Varsity its first touchdown. Cedric Janien provided the second after the Varsity had recovered a Jayvee fumble on the Jayvee 15-yard line. The Varsity carried the ball from the 15 to the 3-yard line in three short rushes and Janien went over for the tally.

In the latter part of the scrimmage the Jayvees marched down the field to the Varsity 25-yard line from midfield on a beautiful pass from Gardiner Prouty to Nat Tenney. Dan Comfort stopped the invasion when he intercepted a second Jayvee pass on the 20-yard line and ran it back to the 30. Nothing of note happened during the rest of the scrimmage.

In Wednesday's scrimmage John Dean and Warren Casey were given a rest, and Dick Waters and Brad Simmons filled in at fullback and center respectively. Neither Dean nor Casey are injured and both will be in the lineup when the Varsity meets New Hampshire tomorrow. Sherman, Schumann, Healey, and Kelly are still on the injured list, and in all probability none of them will see action on Saturday.