As a part of its economy program, the University has decided to abolish the position of Adviser in Religion, which is now held by the Reverend T. L. Harris. It is believed that Mr. Harris will accept a position with a Philadelphia church upon the expiration of his term in June.
The office of adviser in Religion was established in 1930 because the University thought it would be advantageous to have a full time pastor. To avoid confusion with University preachers, he was given the title of Adviser in Religion. Harris came from Ann Arbor, Michigan, to fill the position on a three-year experimental contract.
The administration had found it increasingly difficult to keep members of the Board of Preachers at home over the week ends, and most of the visiting preachers were unable to keep office hours after the day on which they delivered the sermon. There was also felt the need of a pastor with whom students could consult on any religious problems that might arise. Recently there has been close cooperation between the office of the Adviser on Religion and the pastors in charge of young people's work in the churches that are attended by Harvard men.
With the decreased operating budget of the University, however, it is felt by the University to be good policy to dispense with the office. Plans are not yet definite as to who will perform the present duties of the Adviser in Religion, but it is believed that they will once more be assumed by the Board of Preachers.