IT'S ALL A JOKE

The flippant statement of one of the Juniors in charge of Senior elections, in answer to the criticisms and complaints that have been registered against the management, leaves little to be desired both in the matter of bad taste and incompetent rationalization.

In putting himself on record as an advocate of "an occasional good-natured recount" just to "lift the institution from the withered hand of tradition," this director of the election has committed the grave error of at once ridiculing the entire Senior Class election system and the dignity of class offices.

If he feels that Harvard has fallen into the lethargy which he claims for it, the bald statement that any bungling of management can be excused on the grounds that it offers a welcome revival of enthusiasm, is an argument based on the most false hypothesis. Following such a credo, one might quite as justifiably elect a president or head coach and later renounce the choice so that interest in the election might be revived.

If he is correct in believing that Harvard has been denuded of all its enthusiasm for anything--a not inconceivable belief--such a statement only aggravates the situation. Rather than instilling in undergraduates a serious consideration in affairs of the college, the method which he suggests attacks the very roots of such a serious consideration. The statement shows, if it shows nothing else, the amount of enthusiasm and seriousness with which he approached the elections.