HOCKING TO REPLACE PERRY AS CHAIRMAN OF DEPT. OF PHILOSOPHY

H. A. KORFF NAMED TO SUCCEED ROSENSTOCK-HUSSY

In addition to the announcement of five new Faculty appointments by the Corporation yesterday, it was revealed that William E. Hocking '01, Alford Professor of Natural Religion, Moral Philosophy, and Civil Polity, will succeed Ralph, B. Berry, Edgar Pierce Professor of Philosophy, as Chairman of the Division of Philosophy and Psychology and of the Department of Philosophy, on September 1, 1935.

A second departmental appointment announced by the Council of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences was that of Louis C. Graton, professor of Mining Geology, who will be chairman of the Division of Geological Sciences and of the Department of Geology during the second half of this year in the absence of Donald H. McLaughlin, professor of Mining Engineering.

The Corporation has accepted the resignation of William G. Howard '91, professor of German, who will henceforth be Professor Emeritus. Professor Howard was an instructor in German at Princeton from 1893 to 1895 and has been a member of the Harvard faculty since that time.

Herman A. Korff, professor at the University of Leipzig has been appointed Kuno Francke Professor of German Art and Culture for the second half of this year. He succeeds Professor Eugen Rosenstock-Hussy, who has held this position since September.

Other appointments announced yesterday by the Corporation are those of Friedrich E. Machlup-Wolf, who will be Lecturer on Economics for the second half of the year; Edward Welbourne, Lecturer on Government and tutor in the Division of History, Government and Economics for the second half of the year; Leonard Carmichael, Lecturer on Psychology for the first half of 1935-36; and Harrison S. Dimmitt, assistant secretary of the Law School for one year, from January 1, 1935.

Leaves of absence for the first half of 1935-36 were granted, for purposes of research to Bartholomeus J. Bok, assistant professor of Astronomy; Talcott Parsons, instructor in Sociology; and Hassler Whitney, instructor in Mathematics.