NEW ENIROLLMEN FIGUREG

It is interesting to note the significant changes in the enrollment of the various courses at Harvard since that university abandoned its system of undergraduate requirements in science, mathematics, language, and government.

Students at Harvard now have virtually complete freedom in the selection of their courses, and, consequently, some departments have witnessed a large drop in their enrollment, while other courses have experienced a corresponding increase in popularity.

The departments of Greek, Latin, German, and Philosophy have as would be expected, suffered the greatest decreases, while public speaking, government, economics, psychology, and sociology have in many cases doubled their enrollment. Curiously enough about eighty per cent more students registered for military science than last year.

There is nothing astounding or unexpected in these radical changes, except perhaps in the case of military science. The statistics only substantiate the reported trend in educational pursuits. Where once the mark of an educated man was his familiarity with the Classics and philosophy, today the student is considered ignorant if he is not grounded in the doctrines of economics, political philosophy, and government. --Cornell Daily Sun, Mon., Oct. 14