DEADLINE FOR RHODES APPLICATIONS IS SET

APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED BY NOVEMBER 2

Any undergraduate who is competing for a Rhodes Scholarship this year must file his application by November 2, Francis O. Matthiessen, secretary of the Massachusetts State Committee of Selection, announced last night.

The scholarships, awarded to 32 students in the United States every year, give an annual stipend of 400 pounds for a two or three year's tenure at Oxford. Appointments are generally made for two years, since the holder can obtain a high enough standing to obtain a degree in that time.

Should a man present a satisfactory program for a third year; should he desire an intermediate year at home or abroad; or should he desire to obtain a Ph.D. degree during the three years following the two-year grant, special arrangements may be made with the Rhodes Trustees and his college.

Basis of Awards

The scholarships are awarded on the basis of (1) scholastic and literary abilities, (2) moral qualities, (3) force of character and leadership, and (4) physical vigor. Since the committee is looking for men who will excel in some particular field, intellect and character will receive more emphasis than physical vigor, which does not limit the field to Varsity athletes.

With the application must come a letter of recommendation from President Conant, which may be obtained by filing a request with his secretary before October 25. Should a man compete in this state, he would hand his papers to Professor Matthiesson; should he apply in his own state, he would give them to the secretary of his State Committee.

Personal interviews with the secretaries will take place on December 12 or 14 this year. Mr. Matthiesson advises all candidates to read "The Oxford Handbook," which is on reserve in the Widener Reading Room. Official catalogues on Oxford University may be consulted in the Delivery Room.