LOOK FORWARD, YOUNG TEACHERS

The newly-formed Union of University Teachers must justify its existence. For in large part its avowed functions overlap those of an elder organization, the Harvard chapter of the American Association of University Professors.

Men belonging to both bodies and men belonging to either, assert that there is no conflict between the aims of the two societies. This point is not likely to be contested. The natural objection takes just the opposite form: that there is too much coincidence of aim. The Association is obscure because its main purpose is to assure fair play for its constituency. Since there is little occasion to struggle for this precious possession at Harvard, the Association has won neither fame nor notoriety. Anyway, its function is to prevent unfair discrimination against professors and to assure them of proper salaries, retirements, and appointments. It also concerns itself with problems of administration and curriculum, and publishes a useful magazine. But these activities are secondary. And since the field into which the main activities fall is a small one at Harvard, there is certainly no need for a second organization to help cover it.

Yet this is precisely what has arisen. According to Mr. Sweezy's published statement, the only tangible, solid aim of the Teachers' Union is to see to it that the principle of merit is preserved in all appointments; in other words, that no unfair discriminations are made. Here is the clearest of overlapping with the functions of the older body. To be sure, the birthpangs of the Union made many men aware of the modest Association, and thus led about a dozen men to join the latter. But this is certainly no justification for the Union, if in itself it is useless.

Clearly, then, the Union must define and undertake the far-sighted activities so vaguely sketched in Mr. Sweezy's statement. Professor Holcombe, President of the other body, has stated that the Association is enough for the older men, but that the Union is needed to satisfy the aspirations of the younger. Hence the Union must embark on its youthful aims. We must hear more of the connections with the Cambridge Central Labor Union and with kindred associations. We must hear more of self-education for the members, and of erecting bulwarks against the possible advent of such evils as Fascism. Otherwise the Cambridge Union of University Teachers has no reason for existence.