Peace Meeting Is First Common Effort of Officers and Students Against War

President Conant Although Unable To Attend Endorses Meeting in Letter To Shaun Kelly

An imposing battery of speakers, including Professor Langer, Shaun Kelly, and Roger Baldwin, will gather at eight o'clock tonight on the New Lecture Hall platform to discuss means of furthering international peace.

It will mark the first time in recent years that officials and students from every walk of college life have participated in a common effort to attack with cold logic the evils of war.

Supersedes Strikes

For the two previous years open-air strikes have been held in the Yard which intended to arouse the more conservative sectors of undergraduate opinion into active opposition.

When Kelly, Varsity football captain arises promptly at eight to introduce Dean Hanford tonight, however, there will be no Michael Mullins Chowder and Marching Club to interrupt him.

Mr. Hanford will introduce the speakers. The liberals on the program are Oswald Garrison Villard '93, who has gained prominence as the fiery editor of the Nation and Roger N. Baldwin '05, who served a jail term as a conscientious objector during the War and is now president of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Langer Chief Speaker

The chief speaker of the evening will be William L. Langer '15, associate professor of History. Possessing a thorough knowledge of the history of modern Europe for the last century, Mr. Langer will be able to take up all the obstacles in the path of peace.

President Conant, who will be unable to attend tonight's meeting, has sent Kelly the following letter:

"I was unable to accept the invitation to be present at the meeting tomorrow night at which Dean Hanford is to preside and you are to speak. It seems to me this way of bringing the questions of war and peace before the undergraduate body is much to be preferred to the more spectacular methods of demonstrations and parades, and is furthermore in accord with the best traditions of this College. Please extend to those undergraduates who have arranged this meeting my sincere appreciation of their efforts to see that an earnest discussion of these matter takes place and that the different views are presented. Very sincerely yours,   Nov. 5, 1935. James B. Conant."