87,873 MORE BOOKS IN UNIVERSITY LIBRARY

Blake Report Shows Increase of New Books Being Bought--Library 7th Largest in World

Books to the number of 87,873 were added to the University Library last year according to Robert P. Blake, Director. This increases the total number of volume to 3,689,429.

This figure does not include about 40,00 maps and thousands of posters, broadsides, leaflets, clippings and engravings in the Harvard collection.

Nears Four Millions

"The total number of books in the University Library continues steadily to draw nearer the four million mark," Dr. Blake reported.

"The records of the Order Department show a distinct increase in the number of volumes bought, but the figure is far from equaling that of four years ago."

Seventh Largest

Harvard now has the largest university library in the world in the number of volumes, and is the seventh largest of all libraries.

The College library now contains 1,903,581 books; 86,808 were added last year. The libraries of the seven dormitory House units in the college received 2,594 books, bringing their total to 67,018.

Departmental Books

The departmental libraries of the University, including the collections of the various graduate schools, observatories and museums, received 48,471 volumes by purchase or gift, bringing their total to 1,718,835 books.