Norman Thomas Minimizes Value of Public Administration School in Training Future Political Leaders of Country

Predicts Roosevelt Victory in '36 and Rise of Third Major Party by '40

Future political leaders can receive little value from studying in a school of Public Administration according to Norman Thomas.

When asked to give his opinion of the usefulness of the recently endowed Littauer School, Mr. Thomas said that training in a political leader is not so important as the purposes which underly his policies. "What is the government for and what are the motives of its officers?" is a more vital question in present day politics than the education of the leaders.

Speaking of the English traditions of having University men in politics Mr. Thomas felt that it may not be all that it is sometimes considered in this country.

In his opinion this country needs a larger, permanent body of minor administrative officials which would not be affected by elections except as to its basic policies. He believes that the School of Public Administration would be valuable in recruiting for such a body, providing a semi-civil service training.

Roosevelt Has a Chance "Roosevelt still has a good chance of being reelected in 1936," according to Mr. Thomas. "Much of the anti-Roosevelt talk in the East should be taken with a grain of salt and the Literary Digest straw vote cannot be construed as a true indication. Anybody with a grievance against the New Deal voted against it, but that does not mean they would vote for a Republican in the election.

"The New Deal has lost most of its momentum, and in the coming campaign both parties will probably talk of balancing the budget." However, Mr. Thomas feels that the Republicans will find it extremely hard to demolish the New Deal bureaucracy and cut off all relief, if they do win the election, and that they would probably end up by just changing the initials of the organizations and appointing Republican officers.

Hoover an influence

Herbert Hoover's significance in the next election will be merely his influence on the Republican party, and he will not get the election Mr. Thomas believes.

He prophesies the rise of a third major party between 1936 and 1940 which will be chiefly Farmer-Labor in composition with some white collar element. The Socialists will unite with them, he says if they are permitted educational freedom to spread their doctrine. A likely basis for the new party's platform will be "production for use, not profit."