TREND TO SOCIAL SCIENCES IS SHOWN BY CONCENTRATION

Most Popular Field Has 412 Devotees or 51 Over Last Year--History Down With 284 Students

Trends of student interest to the social sciences are again emphasized by the concentration figures released yesterday by the Committee on the Choice of Electives.

Nearly one quarter of the 2,729 upperclassmen are now concentrating in economics and government. These two fields show the greatest increases over last year, while English remains in its position of many years standing as the most popular field of study at Harvard.

Government Continues Rise

The increase of the enrollment in Government to its present standing of 11 per cent of the upperclassmen continues the significant rise in interest which began in 1930 when the department had 129 students, only one half of its present figure.

English claims 412 concentrators, an increase of 51 over last year, and 372 men are working in the Department of Economics, the second most popular field.

History Down

History, second in popularity last year, has dropped to fourth place this year, with 284 students. Biochemistry is next with 167 men, and History and Literature has 139.

Other large departments with their enrollments are Romance languages(137), Chemistry (127), Biology (109), Mathematics (93), Engineering Sciences (83) and Sociology (79). Geology, Philosophy, Physics and Psychology showed small increases over last year.

Sciences Show Drop

Seven science departments lost in membership; they are Biochemistry, Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Anthropology and Astronomy. Romance Languages, Music, Fine Arts. Literature and German have also lost.