Disciplinary Action Is Penalty for Reports Dictated by Tutors

Dean Explains Position of the College on General Question of Outside Tutoring

Disciplinary action will be taken by the Administrative Board against any student detected submitting reports or book reviews which are prepared as the result of seminars conducted by outside tutors.

Dean Hanford applied the term "dishonest" to this practice in an official statement issued last night. Further, he named severance of connections with the University as the penalty to be paid for submitting work which has been actually written by others.

Hanford's Statement

His statement in full reads: "The College regards the submission of reports or book reviews which are prepared as the result of seminars conducted by outside tutors as a form of dishonesty, to be dealt with as the facts may warrant by Disciplinary action of the Administrative Board.

"In cases where a student presents as his own, work which has been actually written by others the action of the college is invariably the severance of the student's connection. Dishonest work strikes at the very foundation of the college."

Former Case

A case similar to that brought to light yesterday with reference to the tutoring schools giving reviews for the Philosophy B, 4,000 word report, happened five years ago.

At this time a paper was due in Phil B on a general topic in the subject matter of the course. When the papers were turned in about 40 were found to be practically alike.

Investigation Followed

Investigation brought to light the fact that this number of students had been to a seminar at a tutoring school and had there gotten the facts and comments necessary to write the paper.

All these students were given an "E" on the paper, were warned against a recurrence of the act. The tutoring school in question was confronted with the evidence, admitted its guilt, and promised that the occurence would not happen again.