DOUBTING THOMAS

Though Norman Thomas in his recent address at Harvard declared that "nothing is so futile as the academic aptitude of side-line radicalism," it is unwise to extend this judgment on side-line location to undergraduate political activity.

Events of the last few years have to some extent broken down the apathetic attitude of American students toward politics. This is unquestionably a desirable process, and may with benefit proceed a great deal further. At the same time, it is well to mark off the field for undergraduate action in politics. National youth movements have been organized in Italy, Germany, and Russia with a definite place in the political scheme. Students exert great political influence in Latin countries, and Cuban students were at one period dictators to the administration. There are those who would have American students take a similar part in political activities, lobbying and agitating on various issues. College men however, who are destined some day to take over the reins of government, may use their undergraduate days to far better advantage in sideline preparation on major problems than in front-rank agitation on minor questions that becloud the day.

Political discussions and discussion groups, and above all a study of political, economic, and social questions are essential elements in preparation for intelligent action in politics. But these can be carried on most successfully on the side-lines, with a chance for critical observation. Norman Thomas is right in urging effective organization and departure from the side-lines,--but not for undergraduates.