RYAN GETS SUSPENDED SENTENCE OF 6 MONTHS, 2 YEARS ON PROBATION

RYAN'S FAMILY HAS PAID FOSTER SUM OF $7000

As the final page in the Dunster House janitor case, Bennett Y. Ran '37, was fined $100, given a six months' suspended sentence, and placed on probation for a period of two years in the East Cambridge Court yesterday.

This was the sentence advised by Ryan's attorney, Robert T. Bushnell '19, in an address before Judge Louis L. Green. "The facts are," Bushnell said, "that young Ryan was so drunk that night that he did not have a mind that was capable of any criminal intent."

During the course of the testimony it was revealed that the Ryan family had paid $7000 to Frank Foster. "This $7000 is not the payment of a rich man to buy his peace," it was explained by Bushnell. "Ryan's father is not a wealthy man. The money was raised by personal sacrifice, but paid gladly.

Judge Green said he had been given a full report of the case and was convinced that Ryan was not vicious but was what might be called "weak." "I have decided to impose a fine of $100 and a sentence of six months in the house of correction." He then ordered the house of correction sentence suspended for two years, placing Ryan on probation.