ONWARD TO OBLIVION

Useless to the American two-party system must be judged any political party unable to furnish a consistent critical opposition. By its recent action in relation to the Public Works Relief Bill, the Republican Party has definitely put itself into that category. The opposition of Republican Senators to the administration in the recent "prevailing wage" amendment vote was no more than blind opposition. Their vote was based on the reasoning that President Roosevelt wants the Relief Bill passed without the amendment, that Roosevelt is a Democrat, that, therefore, he must be opposed.

The Republicans have maintained throughout the Roosevelt administration that prosperity should return through the normal channels of recovering industry, that no government agency should give it artificial stimulation. But now that Roosevelt is making an effort to protect industry while administering relief, they oppose him. Instead, they would have a relief wage so high that it would take labor away from industry, that would, in fact, give relief, jobs preferment over private capital.

Thus, one is again forced to the conclusion that the Republican Party is nothing but an uncritical headless opposition. With no principles to guide it, and no leader to enforce them, it has been unable to adapt itself as a critical anti-administration party. This function, intelligently performed, is as essential to the efficient operation of our two-party democracy as able leadership by the group in power. Unless it can show its usefulness, which entails a complete reorganization, the Republican Party is doomed to oblivion.