STRAUS GIVES HOUSES FIRST SPORTS TROPHY

ALUMNI BULLETIN RESPONSIBLE FOR ACTION

As an intra-mural trophy to be competed for annually by House teams, Percey S. Straus '97, one of the donors of Straus Hall, has given a silver coffee urn to the College.

Standing 21 1-2 inches in height and measuring 8 inches in diameter, the trophy was made in London in 1795 by Aldridge, a recorded silversmith of the period of George III. It bears the inscription, "The House trophy of Harvard College awarded annually to the House excelling in all sports. Ex dono: Percy S. Straus of the class of 1897."

In making the gift Mr. Straus explained, "My purpose in taking up the suggestion that I read in the Alumni Bulletin was to provide what appeared to be a missing incentive to House athletic activities. I believe in the House plan, and think that the more nearly a friendly competition can be developed between them, the more will the dwellers in each house develop an affection for it."

Mr. Straus, who is president of R. H. Macy and Company, New York, and his brothers, Jesse Isidor Straus '93, American ambassador to France, and the late Herbert N. Straus '03 were the donors of the Freshman dormitory bearing their name, which was erected in the Yard in 1926.