Harlow Starts Hard, Driving Work at Opening Session With Record Turnout

No Waste of Time Allowed as New Regime Takes Firm Hold at Soldiers Field

With "Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!" as his constantly shouted motto, Coach Dick Harlow yesterday drove 110 Varsity football candidates, the largest turnout in history, through the hardest opening day practice Harvard has ever seen.

Steady drive and no wasting time were the watchwords as Harlow took charge of Harvard football in a manner that left no doubt over the tactics the new regime intends to pursue at Soldiers Field. As the new coach himself told the huge mob of candidates that poured into the Briggs Cage at 4.30 o'clock, any man in Harvard can make the team, whether or not he has over played college football before, if he can only prove his ability and his willingness to work.

Tough Work

"Come out and give us a chance to see what you can do," the new chief invited, then, almost in the same breath shouted, "Now, lot's get going. Backs on this side of the Cage with Bob Haley, linemen over there with Wes Fesler." That was the signal for the start of a practice session that sent newly reported candidates home with aching limbs, and a realization of what it means to work under now deal football.

Throughout the afternoon, while the aspirants worked in groups, under regular and volunteer coaches, including Rae Crowther, Mike Palm, Fesler, Jimmy Knox, and Cliff Gallagher, Harlow himself seemed to be watching everything at once. No slip-shod play escaped his notice--nor for that matter did a good performance miss a barked grunt of "That's it," or "Not bad."

On one such occasion Tommy Bilodeau came driving through the improvised enemy line with a quickness and a push that drew an offhand "Not Bad! Not bad!" from the busy coach. Then, seeing who it was and as if apologizing for expecting anything but top flight work from the Sophomore star, Harlow said with embarrassment "Oh! Sorry, Tom. Didn't see who it was!"