BASEBALL BATTERIES PARED TO 13 PITCHERS

SOPHOMORES AND JAYVEES FORM MAJORITY OF SQUAD

Unlucky thirteen was the number of pitchers Coach. Fred Mitchell retained on the Varsity yesterday when he cut down the battery candidates at the close of the opening week of practice. This group of twirlers and their partners on Captain Dick Maguire's catching squad will be joined on Monday by the full turnout of aspirants for all positions.

On this list of moundsmen the veteran Bill Lincoln ranks No. 1 on the basis of his performance a year ago. As yet Lincoln hasn't had a chance to show his stuff this season because of his hockey activities. He shares the glory of being an oldtimer with Drib Braggiotti, the pitcher who stepped into the limelight so sensationally in 1934 against Providence and Pennsylvania.

Aside from these two the squad sheet includes the name of no one who has ranked above Freshman or Jayvee grade in previous years. There are the versatile Tommy Bilodeau and the promising Dick Walsh, the leading hurlers from the ex-Freshman unit. Then Frank Wood, best of the Jayvees last season, together with his former teammates, Martin, Victor, George Tittmann, and Johnny Campana have all swung into Varsity possibilities.

There's also quite a group of Sophomores who saw service under Coach Chauncey on the first-year team in 1934. Proctor Avon, Arnold Bronstein, John Day, Joe Nickerson, and Royall Victor come under this head. Of these Nickerson seems to have perhaps the best chance.