AUSTRIAN, ONLY 35, NAMED ECONOMICS PROFESSOR HERE

Like Schumpeter Active in Austrian Affairs -- Judge Bevis Appointed to Business School Faculty

Harvard again reached into a prostrate Austria yesterday to appoint one of her leading economists, Gottfried Haberler, to the Faculty as associate professor of Economics for the next five years. Austria's other representative in this field is Joseph A. Schumpeter, formerly powerful in Vienna's government circles.

While Dr. Haberler has gained his reputation chiefly at the University of Vienna, he also has figured in international affairs. He is director of the business cycle study now being conducted by the League of Nations, and from 1929 to 1931 was secretary of the Austrian National Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce.

Only 35 years old, he is an authority on international trade and the theory of value and price on which subjects he lectures at the University of Vienna, where he was appointed Privatdozent in 1927.

He is no stranger to Harvard for he has been a visiting lecturer here twice; once in 1929, and again in 1931 and 1932. From 1927 to 1929 he served as a Fellow of the Rockefeller Foundation in the United States, England, and France.

Dr. Haberler is the second overseas appointment to be announced within a week. Last Wednesday Phillip Balden-Sperger of the University of Paris was appointed professor of Modern Comparative Literature.