PAGE MR. FARLEY

To repay Harvard for the loan of her valuable hot dogs, Mr. Roosevelt might well lend University Hall Jim Farley for a couple of weeks. Fresh from national triumphs, it should be a small job for him to bring our troublesome commuters back into the fold where they will no longer tickle official digestions.

Mr. Farley could easily have seen that a love for student committees, a knowledge of how to pass the buck, and a belief in the effectiveness of inaction which usually simplify difficult problems would not settle the question of Harvard's lost sheep. He would have appreciated immediately the pickle which confronts a growing national university, when its local clients demand concessions. He would have understood instantly that delay makes such a social problem rapidly attain momentum. By this time, he would have several ERA projects distracting commuter attention.

He would certainly never have let University Hall issue Saturday's statement. Someone certainly should have remembered that they were opposing the Committee's recommendation of Hemenway for a social center before they said they did not know what was in the report. They might not have said so openly that unfavorable publicity necessitated the statement and taken credit for announcing quite by chance that University Hall was working hard to find a satisfactory solution to the problem.

If the University were to make clear on what grounds it opposed a social center for the commuters and there are some, its position would be tenable. If it believed in the other solution, a new abode for the commuters, it might confess this opinion frankly. It would then be possible to debate the problems inherent in the acquirement of a building, the maintenance charges, and meal arrangements.

Placing responsibility for the proposals on a committee which cannot in the last analysis settle such an important matter of policy has brought not only the commuters but the Committee itself, the Brooks House Cabinet, and its Advisory Council headed by Dean Sperry, into a state resembling rebellion. If Jim Farley can't come to Cambridge, University Hall has got to accept the responsibility squarely and adopt a reasoned course of action.