FULL BASEBALL SQUAD REPORTS TO MITCHELL

HALEY GIVEN WORKOUT AT THIRD BASE POST

With a full turnout that filled the Briggs Cage, the baseball squad got under way yesterday with nearly every candidate ready to report for immediate duty. Only Dick Fletcher of the basketball team and Braman Gibbs, temporarily otherwise occupied, were absent from the roster.

All of the other stars and would be stars were on deck and Coach Fred Mitchell started right in trying possible infield combinations. Frankle Owen, skipper of the 1934 Freshmen, Tommy Bilodeau, the double threat infielder and pitcher, Johnny Adzigian, highlight of last year's Varsity, Ben Prouty, famed for his base-stealing proclivities, and Mac MacTernan of the ex-Freshmen were some of the headliners who received their initial Varsity tryouts of the season yesterday afternoon.

Coach Mitchell threw them together into temporary units and will probably change them completely again this afternoon. One interesting item was football captain Bob Haley being given a shot at third base. He wasn't on the Varsity a year ago, but there have been rumors that he will play either at first or third.

The reason for taking Adzigian away from third, where he showed up so well last season, is that on the Japan trip during the summer Adzigian and Bilodeau were tried as a second-short combination with notable results and are making a strong bid for permanent positions on this basis.