FUNERAL FOR EMERTON TO BE HELD TOMORROW

Foote Will Conduct Burial of Famous Professor Known to Many for Books And Teaching Here

Services for Ephraim Emerton '71, whose books are known to all History 1 students and graduates, will be held in the Memorial Chapel at three o'clock tomorrow afternoon. The funeral will be conducted by the Rev. Henry W. Foote and burial will take place in Mount Auburn Cemetery.

Mr. Emerton, who was 84, died Sunday at his home, 84 Chauncey Street. For 49 years he has been connected with the History Department although he has been professor-emeritus during the last decade.

Following his graduation, he worked as a reporter for two years on the old Boston Advertiser to earn money to continue his education abroad. After two years' study at Leipzig, he received his doctor's degree in 1876 and returned to this country to join the History Department.

Among his published works were a modern critical study of Martin Luther and a discussion of Franciscan ideals, as well as reviews of various historical pacts. He was a member of the American Historical Society, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and the Harvard Club.