HARVARD AWAKEI

The University of Vermont and Brown University have been see-sawing in the doughnut championship race for the last fortnight. Latest reports have Freshman Steele of Vermont slaloming through twenty doughnuts in twelve minutes and thirty-eight seconds. Before that the record was held by Mr. Howe, 1938 of Brown and Mr. Pillsbury of Vermont with marks of eighteen minutes fifty seconds and twenty-nine minutes respectively.

Intercollegiate rivalry started in 1927 when a Notre Dame man consumed the prescribed twenty in just over a half hour. Since then the time has been repeatedly cut, but up to this point no son of Harvard has worn the crown.

The recent appearance of doughnuts on breakfast menus may indicate that the Director of Athletics has interested himself in this latest intercollegiate competition. If this be the case the student body should endeavor to compete. Experience has shown that without dunking a doughnut is dry eating and may become lodged in the digestive tract. The recent remarkable reductions in time have been due to an improved technique of motion that brings the doughnut from the coffee cup to the mouth in the shortest possible arc. Let us forget our gastronomic niceties for a bit. If one of our number is successful it may signify the beginning of an athletic renaissance. In any event, if doughnuts for breakfast have been substituted for hockey rinks we should not look the gift horse in the face. Appreciation and proper competitive spirit demand that a Cambridge man throw his hat into the doughnut ring.