Harvard Athletic Program

THE PRESS

Harvard will reduce its athletic budget, and drop six minor sports from the official program, President Conant announced recently. By this move, President Conant will attempt to abolish the connection between gate receipts and athletics.

For years, colleges have depended on football receipts for athletic programs. "Big-time" football teams have been created thru questionable means to increase the proceeds.

Participants in the six minor sports have received the sympathy of the college. Those men, however, who form only four per cent of the student body and cost $125 per student annually, have two alternatives. They may enter other sports or intra-murals.

Endowment funds, which have been greatly decreased within the past two years, must be kept for education. The danger of violating these funds, which Dr. Conant said "hangs over our heads like the sword of Damocles," has been removed at Harvard.

President Conant has been wise enough to realize that colleges must train the undergraduates for living--not for the grandstand. --Syracuse Daily Orange.