FAMOUS TEACHER REMAINS AT HOME ON 75TH BIRTHDAY

Former Occupants of Hollis 15 Rooms Included Emerson, Charles W. Eliot, And Morris Copeland

Charles Townsend Copeland '82, Boylton Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory emeritus, is seventy-five today. Since 1906 he has regularly attended the birthday dinners held by the Charles Townsend Copeland Association at the Harvard Club of New York, but this year he will remain in Cambridge, where he is working on his new book, "The Copeland Classics." For his next birthday, however, he will travel to New York, where friends and former pupils will gather for the occasion.

Copey has been at Harvard since 1892 and was active in teaching until 1928. Previous to his career at Harvard, he served six years on the staff of a morning paper.

On coming to Harvard, he soon won fame as a teacher of composition and literature, and for over three decades he inspired his pupils to the most penetrating work of which they were capable. A list of his pupils reads like a "Who's Who" of modern writing, and the association formed by Copeland alumni makes him one of the few men ever to have a society named for them during their life-time.

Until 1932, Copey lived in the College Yard, the last twenty-eight years of this time in Hollis 15, a room already made famous by a year's residence of Ralph Waldo Emerson, by Charles William Eliot's residence here, and by that of Morris Copeland, author of the first book on landscape gardening in this country.

From the windows of this room, a friendly beacon gleamed through the night to seven generations of Harvard men. Since leaving the Yard, Copey has lived at his apartment on Concord Avenue.