DANGER OF WAR IS LESS TODAY, SAYS LECTURER

Mendelssohn-Bartholdy Calls League Only Practical Way of Conciliating European Affairs

The danger of war today is less than it was five years ago, according to Professor Albrecht Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, who reviewed the European situation in a speech in Emerson Hall yesterday afternoon. He stressed the fact that several years ago there were conflicts between France and Italy, Italy and Jugoslavia, and Rumania and Russia. These conflicts have now almost completely disappeared, he said.

"There must be a unanimous opinion in Europe on every question if the peace movement is to go on. British policy has always been directed forward to the completion of this concert of power in Europe. The League of Nations is the only means of reaching unanimous opinion on any problem. It is the only practical means of conciliating the affairs of Europe."

He believes that it is possible for the League to be effective without America's joining. Although he declared that this country, by not belonging, is able to take a more independent stand on questions which arise, he added that he hoped the United States would soon join.