FRESHMAN FETE RINGS APPLAUSE FOR VALLEE

BRUCE HOPPER ADVISES TRAVEL IN ORIENT THIS SUMMER

With Rudy Vallee and his 38-piece ensemble striking the key note in a triumphal rendering of the "Stein Song," the annual Freshman Smoker took place in the Union last night under the direction of Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr, and his 1938 committeemen.

High spots in the 70-minute program, which Rudy had graciously consented to come out from Boston and voluntarily present the Freshmen, were the rendering of a song, "The Ghost of Dinah," by Ann Graham, platinum girl, the mimicry of Al Bernie, 14-year old boy marvel, and the singing and playing of the leader and the Connecticut Yankees themselves.

C. Russell Allen, president of the class, drew generous applause, with his "that kind of a bear story," while Arthur Oakes and F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr., other officers, duplicated his reception in their confessions of oratorical weakness.

Then followed Bill Cunningham telling tales of life at Dartmouth and the Boston Post, Johnny Kelly, winner of the 1935 B.A.A. Marathon, Adrian O'Brien, radio singer, and other acts of entertainment.

In concluding the two hour and 20 minute program Bruce C. Hopper '24, assistant professor of Government, struck the serious note of the evening with his advice to Freshmen that they should seize this summer as their opportunity for world travel.

Chances to do so may be seriously curtailed in the near future, Professor Hopper warned and advised the Orient as a place for voyaging, since in that direction may lie America's future